Monday, August 19, 2013

Post 1:


I chose the book The Corruption of American Politics: What Went Wrong and Why by Elizabeth Drew. The process I used to select a book was simply that I selected a book that I felt would be both interesting and educational. I selected a few candidates and than chose the book that was most easily available to me (i.e. "The Corruption of American Politics: What Went Wrong and Why" was available at a local library while my other possible choices were not). Hence, I chose the aforementioned book because I thought it would be intriguing, informative, and convenient to retrieve. Elizabeth Drew, the author of the book I chose, appears to have legitimate expertise in her field. She has made a variety of impressive accomplishments. She has been a Washington correspondent for two different publications, hosted a PBS interview show for two years, moderated a presidential nomination debate in 1984, has published 13 books on a variety of political topics, and was a former director of the Council on Foreign Affairs. I consider these achievements of hers to qualify her as adept with political topics. I expect the book may contain minimal bias, mostly of a partisan nature, since the author seems to have a moderately liberal view overall, judging by the summaries of a few other books she’s written. I do, however, expect that the material will be factual enough that I will be able to draw my own conclusions from it as opposed to relying on the author’s potentially slanted viewpoint. 

No comments:

Post a Comment